Monday, July 12, 2010

WWJD

Women of Faith:

What Would Jesus Do? I knows it’s a “cliché.” But it’s truly a cliché to live by. And it is given to us in a variety of ways and times in different parts of the Bible.

Have you ever tried going thru your day with WWJD as your motto. Do you get up in the morning and make the decision to “smile” or do you start the day by yelling at your spouse or kids. Do you get up and decide to take time to pray or do you decide to skip your “Good morning to God” and go straight to getting the work day started? Or what about the end of the day, Do you decide to sit on the couch, go for a walk or take time to end the day with a prayer of thanks for all that was accomplished?
WWJD?

I like to use the motto whenever I have to choose between serving myself, or helping someone else; or when I am envious of someone else’s “free time,” while I am busy finishing work for someone else.

I think about WWJD when I want to complain about a family members bad habit, or irresponsible behavior. While I am irritated, I think “what would Jesus do” in that situation. And I also realize that I have my own bad habits that my family is equally as irritated by. I also think “WWJD” when a friend needs help and I’d rather read a book or watch a movie, instead of being a “serving” neighbor.
Jesus is always here for us, ready to help, ready to care, ready to offer comfort.

He treats us as he would want to be treated. Are we always ready to help, ready to care, ready to comfort our spouse, our children, our friends, even our enemies? The bible gives us this message several times, and twice in Sunday’s readings: first from Moses, and then by using the story of the Good Samaritan—who helped, at that time, someone who would have been considered his enemy.

“Moses said to the people: "If only you would heed the voice of the LORD, your God, and keep his commandments and statutes that are written in this book of the law, then you return to the LORD, your God, with all your heart and all your soul.” Dt 30:10-14

(The story of the Good Samaritan) “”Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?" He said in reply, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself." He replied to him, "You have answered correctly; do this and you will live." …. "And who is my neighbor?" ……. He answered, "The one who treated him with mercy." Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise." Lk 10:25-37


Do we offer our friends, family or spouse a listening ear—even when we are in the middle of a project, or would rather be doing something for ourselves? Do we make time for Jesus during our work day, returning each gift we are given to Him in praise? Do we make time for Jesus by attending church regularly so that we “love God, with all our heart and soul?” Do we follow Jesus’ commandments given to Moses and to live as He did?

Do we treat our spouse as if He/She is Jesus? WWJD? Do we put their feelings ahead of our own as Jesus would, or do we ignore them as did the first two travelers, and take care of ourselves first? WWJD? Jesus didn’t save himself, instead he died to save us. What would we do if we had to make the same choice? Would we give up our lives for them? Would we do anything possible for them?

Like the Samaritan in today’s reading who helped the disabled priest, we are supposed to treat EVERYONE, not just our family and friends as Jesus woud. Do we put our own needs and feelings first, or do we put others first? WWJD?

Dear God: Praise be the miracle of Your son here on earth. Continue to remind me that Your purpose for me is to do as Jesus did. Thank you for giving me multiple opportunities to help others. Help me to always strive to live by the saying WWJD. Amen.

Live this week as Jesus would,

Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment