Monday, September 26, 2011

When Life isn't fair and I want to fix it

Women of Faith:
I texted to a friend this week: “I so want to help, but I know God is the only answer. Pray to forgive, pray to change, and pray to heal.”

I searched for hope and help and I was answered with my favorite prayer: “Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.” (Serenity Prayer)

And I thought: “Life is not fair. I should be able to change or help change more than myself.” So I searched for the wisdom to know “what is life, and what is me.” I searched for why I am not given control and why God is.

And as I pondered “how to help” he put answers in front of me with this week’s readings:

“Thus says the LORD: You say, "The LORD's way is not fair!" ... But if he turns from the wickedness he has committed, he does what is right and just, he shall preserve his life; since he has turned away from all the sins that he has committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die. Ez 18:25-28

“...Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vain glory; rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves, each looking out not for his own interests, but also for those of others. Have in you the same attitude that is also in Christ Jesus. Who, though he was in the form of God ... emptied himself, ....he humbled himself, becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. ... that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend... Phil 2:1-5


Life isn’t fair and I can’t fix it no matter how much I want to help. I can’t take away the pain or suffering. And it won’t help to worry about a problem that I can’t fix.

I can’t fix someone else’s heartache. I can’t heal someone who is sick. And I can’t fix the corrupt world around me.

I can only change my own reactions and feelings. I can only pray for His healing of others. I can only try to mirror Jesus’ example here on earth: by forgiving more (70x7), serving more, and always loving more—by being completely selfless in each and every part of my day, in each and every relationship in my own life. And hopefully by being a good role model in my own choices—by choosing what would be God’s will.

There is always some part of life that is “not fair.” But I am not given the power to fix it. I am only given the means thru the power of prayer to ask God for His grace, His compassion, and His loving mercy.

And I don’t have any control. I can only pray for His healing, His strength, and His courage so that I can be with Him for all eternity.

My hope, my strength and my courage are in Him, thru Him and for Him.

I can only trust that God will hear my prayers.

Heavenly Father: Your mercy is all powerful. Thank you for giving us Your son to be an example of selfless loving; an example of true compassion thru the mercy of His forgiveness; and an example of what it means to never tire in serving others. Help me to share hope with those who struggle to see you in their pain. Help me to change myself by forgiving others; help me to have the courage to accept what I cannot change and help me to have wisdom, patience and understanding that it is not “my will” but your will that is done. Amen

It is with deep humility and heartfelt caring that I ask God for His blessings in our lives so that we will truly know the Prayer of Serenity,

Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment