Monday, August 6, 2012

My favorite things


Women of Faith:
We all have “favorites” we wouldn’t be without because we think those favorites are the best, taste the best or make us better people just because we believe in them.

We believe in brands and breeds sometimes without reason or true understanding of why we believe what we believe. Beliefs we have because we have been influenced or convinced by someone that one “brand” is better than another—some of my favorites: Ford vehicles, the Chicago Cubs, Amana appliances, black lab puppies, Kohl’s and Heinz ketchup.

Brothers and sisters: I declare and testify in the Lord that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds; that is not how you learned Christ, assuming that you have heard of him and were taught in him, as truth is in Jesus, that you should put away the old self of your former way of life, corrupted through deceitful desires, and be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new self, created in God's way in righteousness and holiness of truth. Eph 4:17-24

Our favorites should be real, change us, improve us and give us a new way of life.

But all vehicles, even Ford’s, wear out; all teams lose sometimes, even the Cubs; all appliances have both good and not so good features; puppies grow up; stores make new policies and as far as I know most ketchup is made out of basically the same ingredients.

But God, and the Catholic, universal, Church that he designed, entrusted to Peter (Rock) never wear out. He always forgives my faults and His features are designed to make me better. And God, thru the Church and the Bible, have remained constant and true regardless of what has happened in this world for the last 2000 years.

Do I consider Him and raise Him and promote Him to the same level as my favorite things?

"Amen, amen, I say to you, you are looking for me not because you saw signs but because you ate the loaves and were filled. Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you.. So they said to Him, "What can we do to accomplish the works of God?" Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent." So they said to him, "What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you? …. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." … Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst." Jn 6: 24-36

Heavenly Father, “Amen, amen, I say to you. You are the true bread from heaven. You give life to the world.” (Jn 6) May You become the favorite to all those who are unsure of what to believe. Help me to believe in my heart and to live my life in a way that will convince others that you should be a favorite of theirs too. Thank you for the signs that you so subtly give to encourage those who believe. Amen.

Does my life promote God as my favorite?

This week convince someone that God is the most important part, the FAVORITE part of your life!

Blessings,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment