Monday, November 5, 2012

Am I There Yet?


Friends of Faith:
This week I took a little time to file and reflect on some of my recent writings—some of which you have seen, and many which you have not (I often journal to sort out my own personal struggles or in response to personal questions from others.) That is in fact how these reflections started in the first place.

Father said/asked in his homily this week: 1)” Are you there yet? And 2) Good things become bad, when they are an obstacle (definition of Satan or evil) for what God calls you to be.”
“So be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and handed himself over for us as a sacrificial offering to God for a fragrant aroma. Immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be mentioned among you, as is fitting among holy ones, no obscenity or silly or suggestive talk, which is out of place, but instead, thanksgiving. (Eph 5: 1-4)

I translated into my own life: if I am not taking or making time for what’s really important to God in my life, if I am spending too much time “working or playing for the culture,” instead of God’s purpose, than am I really doing what God wants me to do, and what are the things that are interfering with making time for God, what are the obstacles, the Satan’s, that pull me away from God?
I am definitely not there yet. (I guess that’s a good thing, since Father Mike also said that when we are there, we will be with God in heaven.)

So I let the common themes of the 200 plus writings guide my prayer this morning: to grow closer to God with the requests in many of those writings: to change myself, to make more time for prayer, to continue to bless our marriage with grace and opportunities to share, and to listen to His call (and law) rather than the call (and law) of culture.
This week’s readings included teachings about the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes (Mk 5: 2-12), and the greatest 2 commandments (to love Him and to love each other as He loves us.) Mk 12: 30-31.

But as one of the writers of the USCCB daily reflections commented: It is sometimes difficult to put these instructions into our daily lives.

The beatitude: Blessed are the poor in Spirit, is easier understood if worded as the negative: we will not be blessed because we are rich. (God isn’t impressed by our stuff or even our wisdom/knowledge.)
So too the command: “thou shalt not kill,” makes us complacent because our thought says, “I have never murdered anyone.” But yet our country, by it’s law, allows 3,600 abortions per day and there are many who won’t speak (or vote) against abortion.  Stan was talking to some nursing students yesterday and asked them, “Why are they interested in saving people’s lives but yet their intended vote would continue to fund legalized abortion?” Isn’t it an inconsistent thought for any future or current medical provider, to vote for someone who will not protect the innocent unborn, while educating themselves to save the lives of others. (Or anyone who works to in ANY way to save ANY other life, or ANY type of “earthly” life—pets, trees, birds, etc….)

Heavenly Father, You created us in your image, so that we would become like you. Help me to answer your call to spend more time with You in silence. May I listen to Your Spirit whom You send to guide me. Help me to be a better spouse, a better citizen, and a better child of God. Thank you for continuing to enlighten and remind me of the many opportunities and blessings we have in America, while those living in other areas of the world struggle to live because they are persecuted for their religious beliefs. May my choices and actions be according to Your will. Amen.
“If there is any encouragement in Christ, any solace in love, any participation in the Spirit, any compassion and mercy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love, united in heart, thinking one thing. Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vain glory; rather humbly regard others as more important than yourselves, each looking out not for his own interests, but also everyone for those of others.” Phil 2: 1-4

I realized as I wrote this that much of it is a repeat of what I have written before. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, since it started with my “look back” so I hope that I do never bore you by my “introspections” but rather draw you each closer to God.
And I hope that because you have taken the time you are reminded of what God’s call is in each of your lives this week.

Don’t forget to vote—for life, liberty and freedom, under God,
Blessings,

Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment