Monday, July 15, 2013

On a Mission Together


Friends of Faith:

So I am a little late this week—I have been on a mission—not the normal mission as many church goers might think but a mission to spend time with my grandchildren in the few short days they will be at our house this summer.

As Christians we are on a continuous mission, a mission to get to heaven, to be made holy through the grace of God. But our mission here on earth is much greater than just ourselves because none of us really want to reach heaven strictly by ourselves. We want to be in heaven with those we love.

“Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus said to him, “What is written in the law? How do you read it?” He said in reply, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” He replied to him, “You have answered correctly; do this and you will live.” Lk 10: 25-28

So our bigger mission is to make each other holy. Just as Jesus was sent to us to be our example, we are to be an example to others. And just as Jesus helped us to see God thru him, we are to help others to see God thru us. This is the bond we share as a Christian community: One body, One spirit, One Lord, One love of God—one mission for all eternity, to be joined together with God in heaven.

“God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission. I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next. I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons. He has not created me for naught. I shall do good; I shall do His work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it if I do but keep His commandments. Therefore, I will trust Him, whatever I am, I can never be thrown away. If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him, in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him. If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about. He may take away my friends. He may throw me among strangers. He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide my future from me. Still, He knows what He is about.” The Mission of My Life by Blessed (Cardinal) John Henry Newman 1801-1890

So as the song says: “And they will know we are Christians, by our love, by our love. And they’ll know we are Christians by our love…. And we pray that all unity may one day be restored….. We will walk with each other, we will walk hand in hand. And together we will spread the news that God is in our land….. We will work with each other, we will work side by side. And we’ll guard each one’s dignity and save each one’s pride…” They’ll Know We Are Christians by Carolyn Arends.

Am I living my mission to be known as a Christian? Is my attitude towards others Christlike? Do I pray for unity, do I spread the truth of God and do I guard the dignity of all other human beings? Does everything I do and say work towards one ultimate mission?

Heavenly Father, You are the greatest of teachers. Help me to trust the Words you speak thru Scripture and the Spirit. Help me to accept all that you ask me to endure, with patience and perseverance. Help me to never grow weary of Your mission for me. Thank you for giving me the gifts of the love of a spouse, children and grandchildren, family and friends, and a community of believers with whom to share Your mission. Amen.

In the mission of Christ,

Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment