Monday, October 21, 2013

What is a Friend?


Friends of Faith:

 
"Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of your Kingdom." (Psalm 145:10-12)

 
My best friend is my husband, Stan. He keeps me on the straight and narrow, filling me with the joy and the motivation to keep me moving forward and up. For the two of us this means that his sense of humor will make me smile (even when I resist) and even when I am the most frustrated, disgusted or disappointed. He knows how to make me laugh through my tears and many times helps me see the other side of the situation. Generally he reminds me of the many things I have to be thankful for when so many others are suffering or sacrificing or left wanting or in need.

 
God’s job description of a spouse’s role is “to help his/her mate get to heaven.” That means making the person you have committed your life to smile and find joy; pulling them up when they get weary by gently reminding them to keep going and to be thankful that they can. For a spouse this friendship is a 24-7 lifelong commitment.

 
The truth of being Christian friends is that we are a team. Just as a smile can be contagious, so too does it become contagious when we work together to helpthe other see the "glorious splendor of the Kingdom" by being Good Samaritan’s to both neighbors and enemies; using our time and treasures for the good of others; persevering in prayer for each other; and trusting that we are truly faithful Christian missionaries working towards that same goal.

 
Paul speaks of his own loneliness when his friends desert him: “Try to join me soon, for Demas, enamored of the present world, deserted me and went to Thessalonica, Crescens to Galatia,and Titus to Dalmatia. Luke is the only one with me.... Alexander the coppersmith did me a great deal of harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds. You too be on guard against him, for he has strongly resisted our preaching. At my first defense no one appeared on my behalf, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them! 2 Tm 4: 10-11, 14-16

 
Not only did they desert him, but one did him harm, and one resisted the truth he was teaching. They were definitely lacking in their loyalty as best friends. And yet, despite this, Paul asked that it not be held against them AND he continued to pray for them.

 
As Christian friends we are each others’ constant support. Praying for, listening to and serving each other in many possible ways. We all have talents and gifts to share and are called as true friends never do anything to harm the other or desert them when things get tough.

 
Being a friend is a tremendous responsibility and can be an awesome joy when shared together—especially amongst a family.

 
What type of friend am I? Am I a friend who is there only in good times, rich times and healthy times? Or am a “spousal” friend, committed to getting the ones I love to heaven 24-7, in good times AND in bad, for richer AND for poorer and healthy AND sick times to bring them to the glorious splendor of the kingdom?

 
Do I lead my friends on the narrow path Jesus taught on the cross through his own service and humility? Or do I lead them astray with taunting words that say “it’s okay, everyone else is doing it.”


Heavenly Father, You are my greatest friend. Thank you for all the friends you have given me here on earth, especially my best friend, Stan (insert your own spouses name). Help us each to be good friends to another, loyal, honest, trustworthy and compassionate. And help us to make each other smile. Amen.
 
Appear (be there) for your friends; learn the truth so you can teach in honesty and truth, especially by your own actions; and exhibit honor and respect for those who are sent by God to guide you on the straight and narrow path to righteousness.

Be a great friend!
Blessings,
Charlotte
 

No comments:

Post a Comment