Monday, April 28, 2014

Believing

Friends of Faith:
Why is it that we sometimes have such a difficult time acting on the beliefs of our moral faith, as strongly as we identify in our belief of God?

Could it be that we just get too busy in this “culture of stuff” and don’t take time to exercise our faith belief?

I am often torn between the treasurers of God’s world and a world which includes both the fulfillment of human treasures and the trials of “being tested” in my faith.

In this you rejoice, although now for a little while you may have to suffer through various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire, may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Although you have not seen him you love him; even though you do not see him now yet believe in him, you rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, as you attain the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. 1 Pt 1: 3-9

It is difficult to maintain our lives in this world while searching and yearning for God’s. Yet, this should be our goal… to live in this world making it God’s world. With Jesus as our example: to love one another, as Christ loved us; by giving our lives for each other; by doing God’s will even though it may not be what I might want for myself (“My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will.” Mt 26:39)

The disciples, too, even though Jesus lived in their midst, were tested, tried, and failed to recognize, live, believe, and always do what Jesus asked of them.

Simon Peter denied Christ three times; the disciples on the road to Emmaus didn’t recognize him and Thomas asked to touch Christ to “prove” his existence.

Yet, like them I am asked to have the faith to believe in a power higher than myself, like them I am asked to pray unceasingly, to have the trust to get out of the boat and meet Jesus on the water,and to sustain myself with the food He provides (in nature and in the Eucharist).
I can’t control the world around me, so God is constantly giving me signs that He, through the Spirit, and in Christ’s example is with me everywhere I turn: in all of nature (thru the rain that waters the food grown to sustain us),and in all of life (thru children and grandchildren who continue our family).
Although science thinks they can control, choose, and imitate life and nature, we will not find everlasting joy and peace until we truly believe and trust in the mercy of God: in the elements we cannot touch: the wind (Spirit), the sun (Son), and the rain (Baptism of God).
And it happened that, while he was with them at table, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them. With that their eyes were opened and they recognized him, but he vanished from their sight. Then they said to each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he spoke to us on the way and opened the Scriptures to us?” Lk 24: 30-32

My conscience burns with moral truth. My heart burns with internal knowledge of His will. But my eyes aren’t always open to see and my ears don’t always listen. That is the choice I am given by God, to believe in this world, or to believe in His living Word.

God is in charge of the growing and the feeding of both my body and my soul. He is ultimately in charge of my life if I will trust Him to have power over me. And it is in that giving up of my own self, that I find ultimate peace and happiness.
They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of bread and to the prayers. Awe came upon everyone, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. All who believed were together and had all things in common; they would sell their property and possessions and divide them among all according to each one’s need. Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple area and to breaking bread in their homes. They ate their meals with exultation and sincerity of heart, praising God and enjoying favor with all the people. And every day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved. Acts 2: 42-47
God, You are power and mercy, You are in control. Help me to believe and to give up the life I think I want, for the beauty of the life you give me, even when I can’t or don’t recognize the gifts I am being given. Thank you for the people you have put in my life that allow me to see you and help me to be a person that allows others to see you through me. In faith I trust, I believe. Amen.

Believe. God is providing us all that we need. Find the faith to trust in all that He is and has provided.

Blessings,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment