Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Harvest of Plenty

Friends of Faith:
This week we celebrate Thanksgiving—a time to give thanks for the harvest of our plentiful blessings.

Liturgically this is the end of the Church year and our readings have been from the “end times:” Revelation which speaks of God’s harvest of His blessings—us; and Luke chapter 21 which foretells of the destruction of the temple, persecution, tribulation and the second coming.
“There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on earth nations will be in dismay, perplexed by the roaring of the sea and the waves. People will die of fright in anticipation of what is coming upon the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. But when these signs begin to happen, stand erect and raise your heads because your redemption is at hand.” Lk 21: 25-28

These are they who were not defiled with women; they are virgins and these are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They have been ransomed as the first fruits of the human race for God and the Lamb. On their lips no deceit* has been found; they are unblemished.Then I saw another angel flying high overhead, with everlasting good news to announce to those who dwell on earth, to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people. He said in a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, for his time has come to sit in judgment. Worship him who made heaven and earth and sea and springs of water.” Rev 14: 3-7

As I complain about the time required to do something I would rather put off until tomorrow I wonder if I am truly giving thanks and glory to God for the blessings OF a job, the blessings of a household to clean and food in the refrigerator that needs preparation.

And I think about the time I make to go shopping, or watch a Hallmark movie.

God doesn’t call me to make time for myself, God calls me to help others. God doesn’t gift me with a job and food so that I can complain, he gifts me these treasures so that I can multiply them for his glory in serving His kingdom. I have been gifted with plenty – do I give thanks with the same intensity?

I am reminded that we are all called to be “farmers” – to raise, to multiply and to harvest the crops of God’s gifts. One day God will call me home. Will I be as “unblemished”as a virgin – not complaining about the jobs he has asked me to do; and will I follow Him in THANKSGIVING for all that He has blessed me to bring to harvest? Will he be able to harvest what He has planted? Who will be worthy enough to ransom as His first fruit?

“Great and wonderful are your works, Lord God almighty. Just and true are your ways, O king of the nations.” (Rev 16:3) Thank You for the blessings of health, family, friends, a job, a warm house and of plenty of food this day. May I be reminded to turn these blessings into a harvest of plenty for Your glory. Help me to patiently and graciously give of myself so that others who suffer and others who have much greater needs than I may be decreased. Amen.

May each of us be reminded this Thanksgiving that we are not fulfilled by what might land in our shopping cart (in fact I hope many of us will protest the intrusion on this activity on our day of Thanksgiving for God’s blessings), but rather that we find time to give of our talents so that others may see God’s peace and joy in their lives – that God’s harvest will be plentiful.

May your harvest of plenty be spent with family and the treasures made by the sharing of time and talents with others,
Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving,
Charlotte
 

No comments:

Post a Comment