Monday, January 18, 2010

Talent

Women of Faith:
Every place I’ve turned this week, I kept getting a message—“Use your talents. Share them

with others.”

Father said our purpose is “not to be saved, but to save others.” To save myself would be to be selfish and that is not what God taught us by giving us his son, Jesus. Jesus could have used his talents to “save himself” from the cross, but instead he used himself to save others. He was completely unselfish. He obeyed God completely by saying, “let it be your will.” Our ultimate answer is supposed to be the same, to be like Jesus, to obey God, to do his will.

So my question to myself is this: Am I fulfilling my purpose, am I using my talents so that others will come to know Christ? Am I obeying completely and unselfishly? Am I doing His will?

“Brothers and sisters: There are different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Spirit; there are different forms of service but the same Lord; there are different workings but the same God who produces all of them in everyone. To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit. To one is given through the Spirit the expression of wisdom; to another, the expression of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another, faith by the same Spirit; to another, gifts of healing by the one Spirit; to another, mighty deeds; to another, prophecy; to another, discernment of spirits; to another, varieties of tongues; to another, interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit produces all of these, distributing them individually to each person as he wishes. 1 Cor 12:4-11

Each of us has unique talents, gifts given to us by one God, One spirit, individually as He sees fit for our lives. And none of us can live without the other, because God has given himself to us through them.

How are we using the gifts of the spirit, given to us by God? God doesn’t tell me to save myself, God calls me to obey him. We heard in Jn 2:1-11 Mary tells the servants at the wedding feast in Cana, “do whatever he tells you.” This is how we are to live our lives—We are to do what God tells us… not what we want, or our friends want, but rather as God wants, completely, wholeheartedly, without compromise, and without picking and choosing the truths that fit our earthly vision for our lives.

So what is my special talent? Is it my occupation, or is my occupation just a means to use another gift that may not be as easily defined as my job title. Does my job put me in a place where God wants the “spirit” in me to work with some talent other than what is in the outward appearance of my occupation.

If I look at all the roles we have as wives and mothers, I see many talents, many gifts, which have nothing to do with our jobs or the occupations we have outside of our homes. As women we have a unique talent to love and care for our spouses and children, to show compassion and give service to our families.

We each have a special gift of knowing what our families need. We might call it an “instinct,” or even “eyes in the back of our heads” when it comes to our children. Maybe those “eyes” are the “spirit” working in us to be ready to “save” that child. I find my inner self smiling with joy when I am serving my family, whether it is in cooking them a special meal or giving them time when I feel like I have none. And I feel much less joy when I decide to do something just for myself, when I become “selfish” and ignore their call in my life.

It’s difficult in this “me” world to be aware of God talking to me; to hear God answer my prayers, telling me both yes and no; to see God working miracles in my life; to realize that God is testing my resolve to always say Yes, to Him and not to myself; and to share the talents that God has given me, not to save myself, but to help and save others.

Dear God: Help me to use the “gifts of the Spirit” to give myself unselfishly to my spouse and my family. Help me to feel fulfilled when I am using my talents to take care of their needs. Thank you for the special gift of love and caring you give me as a woman. Help me to bring others to use their talents and treasures for you as well. Bless those who have so much less, especially the homeless and the starving in the world and this week especially those who need our prayers in Haiti. Help me to use my gifts of time, talent and treasures wisely and unselfishly. Amen.

This is our purpose, to do whatever he tells us. Jesus could have used his talent to “save himself” from the cross, but instead he used himself to save others. He was completely unselfish. He obeyed God completely by saying, “let it be your will.” Our ultimate answer is to be to God, to obey him, to do his will.

Blessings, Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment