Monday, August 1, 2011

Dull

Friends in Faith:
Are you feeling dull, bored, wanting more, something different, something new, a change?

Isn’t that how we sometimes feel with our closest friends, or even our spouses? Like we’ve heard the same story over and over again, or eaten the same meal at the same restaurant multiple times, or even gotten up to the same “tune” each morning?

Are we continually seeking someone or something new; somebody more exciting; someone with more time, more money or more things to entertain us?

How often do we fail to “see” the gifts we are given and the prayers that are being answered simply because we have “gotten used” to their presence?

Is this how we feel about Mass, Church, and the Eucharist? Are we so “used” to the blessings and the offering that we no longer see the sacrifice, the hope, and the love given?

Are we continually seeking more and more and more?

We have been graced with the gift of the Eucharist, repeated daily or at least weekly in our lives. But has that repetition “dulled” our senses for the one true gift that is the answer to all of our prayers, hopes, dreams and even sufferings; the gift that feeds us spiritually and physically; the gift that can completely fill us emotionally over and over and over again.


“Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.”
John 6:54-56 Wow, what can be “dull” about this promise?

In the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves and fishes ‘Jesus said to them,
“There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves.”’
Mt 14:13-21

Have we forgotten that Jesus feeds us regularly so that we never need to “go away;”so that we will never “want” for anything as long as He is our strength and we allow Him to give us our “daily bread?”

Have we forgotten that Jesus also asks us to “give them some food ourselves?”

One of the things that I have learned is that giving is more fun than receiving. Giving is never dull, I never get bored in giving and every gift given presents a change, a new reaction, a new reward—possibly more for me, the giver, than even the receiver.

Is that how Jesus feels when He gives us the Spirit, the Eucharist, the grace to move forward in hope?

Heavenly Father: We are blessed by Your gifts, especially the gift of Your Son. Help me to use my gifts wisely and to be filled by the gifts that You have given me. May the gifts I share fulfill the needs of those I meet so that we will each be filled with the Spirit. Amen.

Be renewed and refreshed by the Spirit that is ever present. And then give so that others might also receive.
Blessings,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment