Monday, January 16, 2012

Here I am Lord

Friends in Faith:

We pray for answers from God. We pray to not be fearful, to have trust. We ask others to pray for us, for our earthly desires, our hopes and our dreams.

We ask God to “speak” to us, but are we really willing to listen? Are we truly saying, “Here I am Lord, I come to do YOUR will.” Ps 40: 2

God spoke to Samuel three times. Each time he went to Eli thinking it was Eli that was talking to him. “Then Eli understood that the LORD was calling the youth. So he said to Samuel, "Go to sleep, and if you are called, reply, Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening." When Samuel went to sleep in his place, the LORD came and revealed his presence, calling out as before, "Samuel, Samuel!" Samuel answered, "Speak, for your servant is listening." Samuel grew up, and the LORD was with him, not permitting any word of his to be without effect.” 1 Samuel 3:3-10, 19

“Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, was one of the two who heard John and followed Jesus. He first found his own brother Simon and told him, "We have found the Messiah" - which is translated Christ. Then he brought him to Jesus.” Jn 1: 35-42

And like Samuel and Simon Peter, God gives us friends and/or family to help lead us to Jesus, to guide us in seeking and finding answers from God, to help us discern the truth and to be our accountability partners and mentors.

Do I say, “Speak, for your servant is listening?” Am I truly willing and ready to be his servant, to listen and do what God asks of me?

Am I missing the gentle nudges, the loving words, the truth that is being spoken to me by friends and those that may already have their eyes opened by/to God? Am I ignoring “wise counsel” and instead trusting my own ideas and judgment?

Sometimes I don’t want to hear God because he says “no.” Sometimes I want to serve myself first.

Sometimes his answer to my problem seems like too difficult a task to complete. My fear paralyzes me and I forget that he will give me what I need.

Sometimes his answer says that I have to be humble and give up perfection. I forget I am human and he died on the cross to save me.

And sometimes I have to give up my pride, admit my wrong doing and say “I’m sorry.” I forget he is all merciful and forgives those who ask to be forgiven.

Sometimes I just don’t really want to do what it is he is asking me to do. I forget to trust.

And sometimes I stop myself from speaking the truth about my faith. I am afraid of being judged by societal norms when the only judgment that matters is God’s.

“Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will. I have waited, waited for the LORD, and he stooped toward me and heard my cry. And he put a new song into my mouth, a hymn to our God. Sacrifice or offering you wished not, but ears open to obedience you gave me. Holocausts or sin-offerings you sought not; then said I, "Behold I come." "In the written scroll it is prescribed for me, to do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is within my heart!" I announced your justice in the vast assembly; I did not restrain my lips, as you, O LORD, know.” PS 40: 2, 4, 7-10

Heavenly Father, Your Spirit surrounds and uplifts me. Help me to have the patience to listen for your gentle whispers in the silence of my heart and in the faithful friends you send my way. May I be obedient to your call and blessed with the willingness to honestly say, “Here I am, Lord.” May I answer and trust Your call, in Your Spirit, with kindness, compassion and love. Amen.

May you be blessed with the trust to say, “Here I am Lord!”

Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment