Monday, January 9, 2012

My Search

Women of Faith:

I search daily for my purpose, for what it is I am to do with the gifts I receive and for how I am to act and react to the circumstances of life. I search for answers to day to day choices and for control of difficult problems. I search to give hope and comfort to those who are suffering loss, loneliness and are afraid of the future.

I search to listen to and be guided on the “right” path, by the “right” voice, and with the “right” heart.

I seek to be patient in a world which is overcome with instant gratification and selfishness. I seek to act in kindness and compassion when I am tempted to be judgmental, cynical and sarcastic.

I seek to find the path of the Spirit while being led by laws in a society which is often self serving and ignores God’s simplest commandments and truths.

As I thought about Epiphany and the role of the three kings in Christmas I thought about how they searched for and found Jesus—without a bible, without GPS and without the knowledge of 2012 years of tradition, history and experience. Do we have the patience to wait or do we need an instant post on Facebook? And could we have endured travel on a camel?

"Go and search diligently for the child… And behold, the star that they had seen at its rising preceded them, until it came and stopped over the place where the child was. They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Mt 2:1-12

Just think about the difficulty of their decision and the actions they took—they chose the “right” star, they chose to listen to the “voice” of an angel instead of King Herod who they could see, and they chose an infant, a stranger, to give their wealth, their gifts.

The sky was filled with a thousand stars for them to choose from, just as we have many paths to follow in our own journey.

A king, Herod, who they could see and touch, tried to lead them astray by tempting them with his own selfish desires.

Finally, they had to believe and trust a Spirit that spoke within them that Jesus was the Messiah, the Chosen One, the one sent to them from God to lead them—a stranger, worthy of gifts of a King.

So are we searching for and praying for the “right” Light?

Are we searching for the grace of understanding: that like the Magi we will recognize God in nature, in our experiences and in our relationships?

Are we searching for greater trust: that God’s Light will guide us into an uncertain future and that we will follow in confidence with a belief in God’s love for us?

Are we searching for peace: that our hearts would follow Jesus by rejecting violence and self gratification and being kind and compassionate in our relationships with spouse, family and friends?

Are we searching for the commitment to begin again: by opening our hearts to wholeness in the Spirit rather than to trying to fill them with earthly satisfaction which will only makes us temporarily happy?

Heavenly Father: I praise the brightness of Your star which guides me. May I continue to be blessed with the desire to follow it, and an opportunity to understand what Your will is for me. May I always search for Your righteous path. Grant me the patience to give to others without expecting instant gratification in return. Help me to stay committed to search for Your love, Your hope and Your peace. Amen.

May your search this week be for His Light, His Choice and His Will in your life,
Blessings,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment