Monday, April 15, 2013

Amen! It's D-Day!


Friends of Faith:
Amen! It’s D Day! That’s what my family calls April 15, the end of tax season.  I think the “D” meant “it is done.”

But while I think they thought there joy was in the end (a done) to mom’s endless hours of work and my being “done” with tax returns, I think it was much more the joy of a beginning, that they had me back as a full time family member. I know there was a sense of gratefulness on Stan’s part that my stress level would be lower and I’m sure a sense of relief that he no longer had to be both dad and mom when there was a kid emergency, or something a little out of the ordinary needed done around the house. And I’m sure the kids were happy that mom was back cooking “real” meals and that the laundry seemed to end up in the drawers a little more often without their help.
So, how is D-Day like an Amen? Does D-Day mean an Amen that ends or an Amen that begins? Is it for heaven, or for earth, for what is done, or for what is being done?

“I, John, looked and heard the voices of many angels who surrounded the throne and the living creatures and the elders. They were countless in number, and they cried out in a loud voice: “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches, wisdom and strength, honor and glory and blessing.” Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, everything in the universe, cry out: “To the one who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor, glory and might, forever and ever.” The four living creatures answered, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshipped. Rev 5: 11-14
Amen means to solemnly affirm. When I say Amen I say, “I believe.”  And if I say “I believe” than I believe saying Amen isn’t about saying “It is done,” but rather it says “I’ll do it!”

I am not worthy, unless, and until, I truly believe. And being worthy means I must do everything for God.
My beliefs, my Amen’s, give me what God promised me when he was slain—heavenly “power and riches, wisdom and strength, honor and gloryevery blessing.” All of these blessings are gifts I receive because of his death on the cross, but I must BEGIN by believing. And I affirm my belief by doing as I profess to believe.

I say Amen at the end of every prayer, every Our Father, every prayer of thanksgiving, every prayer of request.
Do I really believe that what I have received is a gift? How am I using the gifts he has given me?

Do I really believe that God can grant me every request, or do I try to take control and make my own destiny? Do I let God work in my life, or do I forget to ask him for his help, or ignore his answers and listen to societies “everyone is doing it?”
I say Amen each time I take the Eucharist—do I really believe? Do I go out and do something with that belief? Do I live each day as if I believe Christ is really present within me?

“I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do. Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master, nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it. Jn 13: 15-17
Heavenly Father, You are my Amen. Make every day D-day, my day to DO your will. Thank you for the gift of faith. Help me to follow your influence and to have the wisdom to discern what is Your will. Help me to have the courage and strength to stand against what society wants me to say an unholy amen to. “To the one who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor, glory and might, forever and ever.” Amen!!!!

Every day is D-Day, discernment day, God’s “to do” day. Every day is a day to do something with what we say we believe. Am I? Are you?
Amen! Believe! Do! It’s D-Day!
Blessings,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment