Monday, December 16, 2013

What did you Go Out to See?

Friends of Faith:
What did you go out to see?

“When John the Baptist heard in prison of the works of the Christ, he sent his disciples to Jesus with this question, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we look for another?” Jesus said to them in reply, “Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind regain their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have the good news proclaimed to them. And blessed is the one who takes no offense at me.”

As they were going off, Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John, “What did you go out to the desert to see?
A reed swayed by the wind? Then what did you go out to see? Someone dressed in fine clothing? Those who wear fine clothing are in royal palaces. Then why did you go out? To see a prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is written
: Behold, I am sending my messenger ahead of you; he will prepare your way before you. Mt 11: 2-11

 
John the Baptist told the people that Jesus was coming, but the people thought Jesus would come as a king, as a ruler, who wore fancy clothes and lived in a royal palace. They were looking for someone who would give them the physical things they desired.

 
Instead Jesus came in much more common clothes, as a much more common person and with a gift of giving to all who asked for him in faith, eternal and everlasting love. And he gave us a gift of love that served without any expectation and that if we accepted would give us eternal life, eternal joy.

 
So what is it that I am looking for, searching for or expecting to find? And what is it that I have overlooked?

 
Am I looking for happiness provided by fun, entertainment, or personal pleasure? Or am I looking for eternal joy found by simply being in God’s presence? My most requested and fulfilling gift is to be able to attend mass together as a family on Christmas morning.

 
Am I looking for someone to serve me, or am I looking to give a gift of service?It truly is better to give than to receive.

 
Am I looking for presents, or am I looking for presence? I have always been happier with a pile of family than with a pile of gifts under the tree.

 
And do I look for the fleeting happiness created by others outside of me? Or do I look for the joy of Christ within me to share with those around me?

 
Heavenly Father, As we await the arrival of your most royal package, Your heavenly son, keep Your loving arms are wrapped around me. Help me to see You in those who seek and those who offer Your presence in my life. Thank you for the gift of a guiding star to light my way. Amen.

 
The truly great gifts are not those wrapped in glitter and bows, but those wrapped in blankets who travel the distance to be with us.

 
What are you going out to see? Search for the gifts of love, joy, hope and peace offered by Jesus Christ.

 
And accept his presence....it is our greatest present,

Charlotte



No comments:

Post a Comment