Monday, October 24, 2011

Today is Special

Women of Faith:

Today is special. No, it is not my anniversary or my birthday. It is the beginning of an ordinary week. I am not expecting any extraordinary gifts, births or deaths or even to go anywhere or see anyone I would not normally see.

So why do I say it is special?

Think about the times you have taken the time with one of your children and later proudly heard them say, “Mommy helped ME (color) this today.”

Think about the times a struggling teenager says, “MY _______ told me I could do it.” And because they believed, they achieved.

Think about the times you talked to a friend and they said, “I was hoping YOU would call today.”

Think about how you make your spouse feel when you pull them back into the room just to say, “I need you.”—to share another hug, another kiss, or an “I love you.”

To be quite honest, I know today will be special JUST BECAUSE I am focused on YOU, not me. I have said it will be special so my actions will follow my thoughts and my thoughts have already made it so.

I will find the blessings, because I am looking for the blessings. I will feel love because I will give love. I am what I think I am. I will go beyond my “normal” boundaries and reach for more. Today will be special because I CHOOSE it to be.

Being blessed, feeling special, loving--these are not feelings, but rather the action I create, the memories I seek to make.

"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" He said to him, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments." Mt 22: 34-40

The WHOLE LAW depends on our love. It depends on what we do, not what we feel.

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Cor 13: 4-7

Love is an action which entrusts in us the ability to overlook our humanness and feel the blessedness.

Heavenly Father, You have blessed me with this special day. You have asked me to do only one thing, to love. Help me to love with all patience, all forgiveness, all hope. May we reflect Your love, revealed to us in Your son Jesus and shown to us in his cross. Help me to endure my sufferings and burdens. Send Your Spirit to me so that I may share Your love. Amen.

When we love as God teaches us to love then our day will be special not because we are seeking something for ourselves, but rather because we are choosing to make someone else have an extraordinarily special day!!

Make this message be your “forward” today.

Blessings on your special day and on whomever else you bless with your love,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment